Caregiver Support Resources for You and Your Loved One
When you are the caregiver of a loved one with special needs or a life-changing illness or injury, each day can bring new questions and new situations. So it’s important that you have access to the resources and support you need ? not only for your loved one, but also for you.
Military OneSource offers many caregiver support resources tailored to your specific needs. You can find support services, consultations, confidential non-medical counseling and access to a variety of helpful products:
- Specialty consultations – Military OneSource gives you 24/7 access to trained, master’s-level consultants who can assess your family's concerns and answer your questions about special needs, elder care, adult disability care, wounded warrior and more. Call 800-342-9647 or click Military OneSource to connect with a Military OneSource consultant.
- Non-medical counseling – Being a caregiver is hard work. If you are feeling stressed, you can talk with someone who can help you navigate the difficulties of caregiving without neglecting your own needs.
- Get counseling services face-to-face, by telephone, video or online, using real-time chat. Call 800-342-9647 or click Non-medical Counseling to find out more.
- See these tips on how to take care of yourself when you are a caregiver.
- Sample webinars from the Military Families Learning Network to learn more about being a caregiver.
- Peer support – The person who best understands a caregiver has been one. Get and stay connected with other caregivers like you.
- Attend monthly PEER forums, sponsored by the Department of Defense, on or near a military installation. If you don’t live near an installation, register for a virtual forum on your computer, phone or mobile device.
- Explore Military OneSource's social media hub to connect with other caregivers or look for inspiration on the Blog Brigade.
- Financial counseling – Caring for a loved one may deliver unexpected costs. Save yourself time, energy and worry by having a spending plan that leaves room for the unexpected. Military OneSource offers financial counseling in person, by phone or via video chat. Call 800-342-9647 or click financial counseling.
- Health and wellness – It can be easy to forget about your own needs when caring for a loved one, but it’s important to take care of your own health. Free, confidential health and wellness coaching is available via phone, online chat or video session. Call 800-342-9647 or click health to find out more.
- Products and downloads – On Military OneSource, you’ll find many helpful booklets, CDs, DVDs and articles that you can have shipped to your door for free. You’ll also find useful downloads including:
Being a caregiver is one of the most important roles you can take on, but you don't have to do it alone. Use caregiver support from Military OneSource to help lighten your load and take better care of yourself.