Morale, Welfare and Recreation: Your Source for Affordable Fun
Military life has many demands, so you want to make the most of your free time. Morale, Welfare and Recreation, or MWR, is the military’s network of support and leisure programs for service members. On base or off, Morale, Welfare and Recreation provides lots of ways for you to connect with friends and others for entertainment, rest and relaxation — all at reduced or no cost.
R&R on the installation
At military installations around the world, you’ll find a lot to do and enjoy, including:
- Swimming pools: Cool off and relax with recreational swimming. Sign up for swimming lessons, or join an aquatic fitness class for aerobic, low-impact workouts.
- Bowling facilities: Get a few friends together for a few games or buddy-up by joining a league.
- Golf courses: From nine holes to full-scale, PGA-quality links, installation golf courses offer fun and fitness at affordable prices. Some locations also offer driving ranges, putting greens and lessons.
- Recreation centers: Many centers help you connect with family and friends with free Wi-Fi and computer use. Or unwind with billiards, air hockey, foosball, table tennis, Xbox, PlayStations and board games. You’ll also find a large library of movies and big-screen TVs to watch them on.
- Trails: Morale, Welfare and Recreation staff can recommend great local trails where you can hike, bike or take a relaxing walk in nature.
- Auto skills centers: Most garrisons have Automotive Skills Centers where you can maintain or repair your vehicle. For a minimal fee you can use work bays, vehicle lifts, and a broad selection of tools, and get advice from certified mechanics.
- Libraries: Check out a bestseller, read a magazine article or study for an upcoming test with library resources. Visit your installation library or log on to your Military OneSource account to access the MWR Digital Library from anywhere in the world.
- Movie theaters: See the latest and movies at prices lower than those at the commercial chains. Now showing: all your favorite genres ? some in 3D.
- Outdoor and recreation rental centers: Need outdoor gear for a few hours or a few days? Rental centers offer campers, canoes and kayaks, canopy tents, tables and chairs, grills, garden equipment and much more.
See what Morale, Welfare and Recreation offers at your own installation.
R&R off the installation
Off-base adventures start with your installation’s Information, Tickets and Travel office and the outdoor recreation office. They’ll give you the scoop on sporting events, museums, theme parks, aquariums, zoos, historical sites and other attractions, both near and far. They’re also good for discount tickets and vacation planning services.
Be sure to check out these great off-base opportunities:
- Best Kept Secrets is a guide to joint services campgrounds and facilities across the United States. Whether you enjoy camping, hunting, fishing, horseback riding, boating, swimming or lounging on the beach, you’ll find great accommodations and amenities.
- Lodging at recreational facilities, hotels and resorts around the world. Enjoy a cottage on the beach, a mountaintop retreat or a five-star resort with all the luxuries, both stateside and overseas.
- America the Beautiful passes give you access to more than 84 million acres of national parks where you can hike, climb, ski, surf, stargaze or just relax.
- Blue Star Museums allow you to soak up history, science or culture between Memorial Day and Labor Day across the country — for free.
Remember, each service branch has its own Morale, Welfare and Recreation program. See what’s in store for you:
Morale, Welfare and Recreation is your destination for entertainment, rest and relaxation on or off the installation. Visit your local office for more information or call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647.