Wounded Warrior Specialty Consultations: Health Care, Benefits and More
Military OneSource provides wounded warrior specialty consultation services to help eligible wounded, ill or injured service members, veterans and their families get immediate assistance for issues related to health care, resources, facilities and benefits.
What we do and who is eligible for consultation services
Consultations aren’t limited to just those service members with combat injuries or a military disability. Service members and veterans injured in accidents or battling serious illnesses are also eligible. Consultants are available to help with:
- Questions about health care and benefits
- Getting additional support
- Reporting problems with military facilities
- Support for non-medical issues like transportation needs, legal issues, respite care and much more
Working with your service branch and the Department of Veterans Affairs
Each service branch operates a wounded warrior program to help service members and their families with non-medical issues associated with transitioning back to duty or civilian life. Military OneSource specialty consultants work with these programs and the Department of Veterans Affairs to quickly connect you to the resources you need. Your eligibility to use the service doesn't end when you leave a military treatment facility.
Response timelines after your call
Within an hour of your call, consultants will refer you to the right resources at the VA or the wounded warrior program specific to your service. Within 96 hours of calling, you will have a plan that addresses your issue. You’ll also have a personal consultant who will guide you through the entire process, no matter how complex.
What types of support do wounded warrior programs provide?
The wounded warrior programs work with the service member and his or her medical team to develop a comprehensive plan that addresses specific recovery, rehabilitation and reintegration goals. Typical non-medical support may include all these services and more:
- Pay and personnel issues
- Invitational travel orders
- Lodging and housing adaptations
- Child and youth care arrangements
- Transportation needs
- Legal and guardianship issues
- Education and training benefits
- Respite care
- Traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress support services
More about wounded warrior programs and services
The military's wounded warrior programs provide help and support for severely wounded, ill and injured service members, veterans and their families. Eligibility for wounded warrior benefits isn't limited to those with combat injuries. Other eligible military members include:
- Service members battling serious illnesses
- Service members injured in accidents and requiring long-term care
Support doesn't stop just because the service member is no longer under military care. Wounded warrior programs provide lifetime support, even after the service member is discharged from a military treatment facility.
Additional resources for caregivers
Caregivers of wounded warriors can get additional support from Military OneSource beyond specialty consultations including: Personalized Experiences, Engagement and Resources — or PEER — forums, as well as webinars, caregiver-related events and specialized resources.
- In-Person Military Caregiver PEER forums – Caregivers can support each other and share knowledge, experience and resources at these monthly forums held on military installations nationwide. Learn more about Military Caregiver PEER forums.
- Virtual PEER forums — These monthly virtual forums are available for caregivers who can't attend in person. Visit Warrior Care Resources for a registration link.
- Online caregiver webinars — These include military caregiving and wounded warrior webinars. Learn more about being a caregiver through Military OneSource and the Military Families Learning Network.
Military OneSource has more information about wounded warrior programs. If you or a family member is a wounded warrior who needs help understanding your benefits, contact Military OneSource for a free specialty consultation at 800-342-9647.