Sesame Street for Military Families: Helping Kids Through Life’s Milestones
For many years, colorful Sesame Street characters like Elmo and Big Bird have helped children learn while having fun. The Department of Defense has drawn on these familiar friends to help children ages 2-6 through the milestones of relocations, deployments, transitions and more by creating Sesame Street for Military Families.
The initiative aims to address the ongoing needs of military children related to their experiences and transitions. The free multimedia website – with videos, games, tips, articles and more – is offered in both English and Spanish for kids and parents. You can help your child gain resilience and have fun along the way. Here is a sampling of what you’ll find.
Learning tips and games for parents and kids
- Changes Big & Small Tip Sheet: These tips offer information for parents on building a sense of security during periods of transition and strategies for providing reassurance, such as establishing regular rituals.
- It’s An Adventure! In this video, Muppet friends Elmo and Rosita help military children to see change – starting a new school or moving into a new home -- as an exciting adventure.
- New Friend Coupons: This downloadable coloring sheet makes meeting friends more fun. Kids cut apart the coupons and give to their new classmates.
- Conversation starters: Getting your child to communicate about his or her feelings can take a little creativity. Download these instructions for a finger puppet show with conversation-provoking scene-starters.
Deployments and relocations
- Pre-Deployments Tip Sheet: This content gives parents guidance on how to plan and prepare for deployment, including suggestions on how to talk to your child about the changes and strategies for keeping the family connection strong.
- Dear Elmo Videos: Elmo covers the different emotions and concerns related to deployment in a fun and engaging video series, from Dear Elmo: Getting Ready to Dear Elmo: Coming Home.
- Additional Resources: If you need even more resources, you can check out this list of helpful links to sites like Operation Homefront and Military Kids Connect.
- The Big Moving Adventure: With this app, children can create their own Muppet friend to keep them company and help them through the moving process.
Family health and wellness
- Bedtime Routines: Military children need routine even more than the average child, starting with a consistent bedtime ritual. This tip sheet gives parents directions on establishing a good bedtime routine.
- Self-Expression Videos: Elmo and friends teach children how to express themselves: through song, laughter, hugging, moving and talking in this entertaining video series.
- Feeling Faces: Muppets Elmo, Abby and Oscar help children explore their feelings in a fun online card game.
- Breathe, Think, Do with Sesame: This mobile app helps children learn how to calm down and solve everyday challenges thanks to a Sesame Street monster friend.
Sesame Street for Military Families is there for children with a parent in the military. The website celebrates the unique role of military children by offering them and their parents a wide range of resources, from engaging videos and fun apps to helpful tip sheets and articles.